Spring Cleaning Series

As we welcome March and the upcoming beauty of Spring, I thought a little spring cleaning was in order!
Throughout the month I will post a short (maybe long) idea, nutrition tip, or other helpful way to help you welcome in Spring!! Spring is a time to cleanse, a time to grow, and a time to shine!! Happy March everyone!

Today’s Spring Cleaning tip : WATER!

I know, it sounds so simple.

Try to be mindful of your water intake, keep a log if you need to.  Pre fill your daily water containers, whatever works for you!

Our bodies can survive up to 8 weeks without food, but only days without water. Water makes up 55-60% of our body mass.  It is found in all of our tissues and cells.  We require water to transport nutrients, to cushion our bones and joints, regulate our body temperature, remove waste and toxins, and so many other necessary functions.

We make only 8% of required water ourselves, the other 92% must be acquired thorough food and beverages.  Water cannot be stored, it must be consumed daily. Preferably in small amounts throughout the day.

A good ‘Rule of Thumb’ is to drink half your body weight in ounces.  So if you weigh 140 lbs you should drink 70 ounces of water a day.  Diuretics like coffee make this number higher. (1.5ounces per ounce of diuretic)

Water can be too much of a good thing!! Do not drink more than 1 gallon of water a day.  It can be toxic at high levels, causing you to lose electrolytes from excessive urination.

Quality filtered water is also important.  So many toxins reside in our tap water such as medicine residue, flouride, and chlorine.  Make sure you have a good water filter at home and good glass containers to drink out of.

Water bottles are expensive, low quality (Auquafina and Dasani are plain tap water), a HUGE strain on the environment, and they leech the plastic chemicals into your drinking water.

One of the worst things you can do is reuse a plastic water bottle over and over. Yuck!!!

“According to the most recent report by The Association of Postconsumer Plastic Recyclers,2 only 28 percent of water bottles are currently recycled in the US. What happens to the rest of them?

They end up in:

  1. Landfills, where they can remain for thousands of years, leaching toxins into the ground
  2. Incinerators, where the chemicals are released into the air
  3. Oceans, where they slowly disintegrate into tiny particles, turning portions of our waters into a plastic stew. In this way plastic also enters the food chain, and kills wildlife.”  source


Here’s a great video on bottled water! The Story of Bottled Water

As far as containers for your water, I prefer glass, although you will often see me with a BPA free plastic one with a straw.. I love having a straw. (Also reusable. Do not get me started on the environmental impact of straws!) Klean Kanteen has wonderful light weight containers.  They even make water bottles with built in filters in case you need to refill with tap water when you are out and about.

My Spring day 1 challenge to you~ Not only drink more water, but consider the water you are drinking.  Drink clean, healthy water that does not have a negative impact the environment!!